Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Evolution of Jane


Jane is fast becoming a favorite name of mine. It is old-fashioned but has panache. And, in my family it is a heritage carried by five generations, starting with my great-grandmother Eliza Jane, who had Emma Jane, who years later had Mary Jane. Mary Jane was my father's sister and while she did not have children, he did and you guessed it. He had a daughter named Jenni Jane. My other sister Michelle, named her daughter, Emma Jane, which is where the story ends for now.

Great books are written about Jane and by Jane. The obvious examples are Jane Eyre and the ultimate female writer Jane Austen, who is still popular years after publishing her first book. I just discovered a new writer by accident, Cathleen Schine and her book the Evolution of Jane.

Apparently, I am not alone in my fascination Jane - the name is inspiration for Jane magazine, Mary Jane shoes, Calamity Jane, Dick and Jane series, movies like the Jane Austen Book Club and Becoming Jane. The name is even captured in lyrics by Jefferson Starship in the song "Jane."Why are we taken with Jane? Determined to have a good life and destined for greatness are the Jane's and I lay claim to the heritage in my family, even though I am a Jane by default. These women inspired me and still do, including my niece, Emma Jane, who surprises and delights me continually.

For all the Jane's out there, this one's for you!

1 comment:

Emma Jane said...

Couldn't have said it better!